Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Mommie Dearest

The blogs I read tend to be salacious and titillating or funny and irreverent. I like 'em raunchy and raw and funny. Some of them are friends' blogs, and I read them to catch up or stay involved. And there are blogs I read because I just enjoy the writing. Most of the time, though, I read them because I get a glimpse into the lives of interesting people. There's drama and comedy and sex and conflict and grit and fluff.

But there are very few blogs I read whose writers are in the throes of the kind of real life terror that Desperate Mum and her husband are going through. If this weren't a fine blog, it would be difficult to critique because how do you kick a woman when she's down, when down includes the possibility of losing her kids, who she obviously adores? I can be snarky when warranted, but I can't be cruel.

Thank goodness I don't have to kick her. This blog is good.

The design is simple, uncluttered, well organized, and appropriate to the subject matter. There's even an About page that fills us in on the briefest of particulars.

There's not a lot here, yet. She only started blogging this month, but I suspect the blog will grow as their trials continue. And continue they likely will. The writing is honest, clear, focused, and painful. There's anger here, and grief. But also hope.

Is it a blog I'll read every day? Maybe not. But I'll definitely keep an eye on it to see what happens.

I suggest she resubmit in another couple of months when there's a little more meat for us to pick apart. But for now, I give it:







Keep going. Write more.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Thankyou for your review. I appreciate what you have said and I will resubmit in a few months.
    I will bring these bastards down, just watch me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, shit on me. I finally get around to checking in to see what's good in cyberland, and this blog has been deleted! After reading the description in the review, I'm hoping it's for positive reasons.

    (Signed,
    the former DangerDoll)

    ReplyDelete

Grow a pair.