Monday, March 19, 2007

Boldly Go Elsewhere

Friday was fun. I was supposed to review Fantasy & Sci-Fi Lovin' Blog, but lo and behold, the East Coast, specifically my neck of the woods, got hammered with fifteen straight hours of ice and sleet. That made for just a shitty delightful day. So, she had to wait until Monday for my review.

I click on to this blog, and immediately my cursor changes to a dragon. Well, that's interesting. Don't bogart my cursor, lady. Then, I see a moving header image. Okay, well, maybe this person is younger and enjoys this kind of thing. Nope, checking the "About Me", she's 37 and a Mother. Confusion reigns. The blog is three-column, and virtually indecipherable in terms of organization. There are flags at the bottom of each post. She's got an internet pet bat at the bottom of the page. She's got blog ads. She's got...oh the hell with it.

This thing is a mess.

Change to a two column blog. Get it organized. Drop all the cutesy-poo cursor and animated .gif header. Organize your links. Get rid of useless buttons. Get a better background color. In short, re-do this thing, immediately.

<

5 comments:

  1. I don't really mind the content, but then, I'm a huge nerd. It would make it easier to navigate if the blog authors all had their profiles listed together, perhaps on a different page since this blog design has the capacity to do that with the clickable links up at the top. I like the header graphic.

    But, too many blinky buttony things and too many posts on a single page, and make it a two-column job, I think, it would be easier to get around on.

    Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also recommend using a single font face (choose either arial or times new roman, and stick with ONE OF THEM in different sizes). And get rid of the dots in front of each topical tab at the top of the page. There is no need for that, and it just looks silly and ungrammatical (is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. STB

    Thanks for the comments, it's appreciated. I can't remove the dots in the tabs though, it's a format thing and they won't work without the period in front. I've tried to fix it, but so far I've had no luck.

    I know a lot of people don't like the 3 column format, but I do. I've asked my regular contributors and they've suggested I keep it. The style isn't for everyone. I've been trying to cut down on the clutter, but I guess I'm just a cluttered type of person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we like it the site just fine!

    ReplyDelete

Grow a pair.