Monday, February 18, 2008

It Makes Me Tired Just Reading It.

Let me just preface this review by saying that I'm usually prejudicial about mommy blogs. I usually hate them on principal because I really don't think people, even other mommies, are that interested about your kids, no matter how awesome they are...unless they're teenagers and the bad seed of the family. Because that shit's interesting in a train wreck sort of way. This is because I don't have kids. I like kids. I worked with them for about 13 years and I think they're both awesome and horribly shitty at the same time. Even with that said, I'd like to have a kid and I think I'd be a good mother...I just wouldn't blog about them.

So, the author of The More, The Messier, needs to keep that in mind when I say that I would never read this blog of my own free will. I only read one mommy blogger and that's because I know her in real life and very few of her posts are about her kid. It's not that this is a horrible blog, it's just that I cannot relate, whatsoever. Hearing about the lingering smell of puke, fights with the hubby, and putting the kids to bed is not what I would call scintillating reading. That aside, Suburban Correspondant writes really well, has a quick wit, and jokes about her bickering children being worse than water boarding (something I find hilarious because I'm a sick, sick person). I think she would be cool to hang out with (if she could find a moment to herself with six kids to corral) and promised to not tell me stories about puke.

The template is your standard blogger template, pretty boring but navigable and I really like the subtitle of "Kids! Vomit! Mice!" as it sounds like something you would see on a poster for an off-Broadway play.

Overall, I give it Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket because I don't quite like it enough for the "I fucking love you" prize, but it's so well written and genuinely funny in parts.

5 comments:

  1. I really, really, really like her writing. The template is the standard ugly blogger, and I do so hate those. Please, suburban correspondent, get a decent-looking template. And lose the crap out of your sidebar that makes it so wide (weight ticker, library shelf).

    But, seriously, brilliant writing.

    What I want to know is...why does she homeschool. Is it for religious reasons? Or other? Because she uses the word SLUT.

    OMG.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good stuff there. If you've got to mommy blog, at least be funny, and she is. Hate the design, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing...the font is like 3 times too big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get to be my age, you need the font that big.

    And do I sound like I know how to get a decent-looking template? I'm a computer idiot, unfortunately. I hate how the right-hand column is so wide, but it was like that even without the items you mention (if that makes any sense). Any suggestions on where to learn more about templates?

    And if you like lousy teen stories, make sure you check out the posts about Anna (I'm not sure how much you read - she hasn't been featured much in the past month).

    Thanks for the review!

    Oh, and I homeschool because I cannot stand to put up with the schools' bureaucratic bullshit and their condescending attitudes to the parents. Also, I didn't want to have to explain the word "faggot" to my 5-year-old. Also, I'm just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shit! She has six kids, homeschools AND has time to blog? How the hell does she find the time? Somebody ought to give her a blog award just for the fact that she can string a coherent sentence together and not collapse in the corner sobbing. Buh buh buh bubuh buh buh.

    ReplyDelete

Grow a pair.